Sunday, August 17, 2008

I need more speed

The drowsiness continued last week, so that Thursday and Friday were a wash as far as exercise of any kind went. Yesterday, however I ran around 9 miles, maybe a little less. Today I ran probably above 15 miles. My pedometer said over 16, but I know it is not accurate and that it tends to log too much when I walk, which I did do during this work out. I'm a bit sore, and my foot is rather stiff, but other than that, no problems. I do have to work a bit on speed. I realize I'm supposed to be doing these well below what I plan to do on race day, but all the same, 2:45 minutes for 15 miles is not really very good.
The coming week is a step back week for me. I plan to follow it and not just add miles one day because I didn't run on another day. I also plan to work on speed. Specially during Saturday's pace run. I want to make sure I finish the marathon in something close to decent time. The way I'm going, we are talking 5 hours, which is still within the limit, so I can still finish, but it is just too terribly long. So I'll be working on speed from now on, always deferring to the sore foot when necessary. But with the shorter runs this week, foot should not be a problem at all.

No comments: